Continuing in our popular series of Migrant Tales – first hand accounts of the immigrant experience of New Zealand taken from locations around the net.
Today’s tale was published a few days ago (Dec 2011) on a British expatriate emigration forum, and aside from the experience with the Christchurch refugees, details a fairly typical set of complaints voiced by many immigrants
…Two and a half years in……
……and I just don’t get it. If there are a more inward, casually racist, obstinate and rude group of people then I’ve yet to meet them. Admittedly I’m in Auckland but the only friends we have are other Brit ex-pats and they all feel the same to.
We’ve been ripped off by various ‘Kiwi owned and operated’ companies (Kiwi owned and operated should be viewed as a warning by the way), we took in a couple of ChCh ‘refugees’ after the quake who robbed us and did a flit, we’ve almost been killed on numerous occasions by stupid arseholes driving cars as if they were on a racetrack, we’ve observed the most appalling of bullying and psychotic bdhaviour in our respective public sector employment and almost unbounded stupidity when it comes to approaching any task or recreational pursuit.
I appreciate that there are a lot of ex-pats that won’t admit to making a huge mistake by coming here because it all starts to unravel somewhat but this place is really the arse end of the world with HUGE social problems, a corrupt criminal justice and regulatory environment, it is an inherently racist country and unless your Great Grandfather went to kindy with someone who signed the Waitangi treaty, you will never be accepted.
- Migrant Tales – British Cop in Northland: NZ’s “Crime Statistics a Work of Fiction” (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – British Sparkie Can’t Find Work (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – The UK Plumber’s Tale (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – NZ Not The Land Of Promise For Me (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – Binge Drinking The Bane Of The Culture And NZ Is A Nation of ‘MJ’ Smokers (e2nz.org)
- Migrant Tales – NZ Promised Land? (e2nz.org)