“…..11 months ago every thing changed. I was marched in to an office at work and “dis-established” as they call it here (made redundant). A shocking experience but I tried not to dwell upon it. Since then I have made every effort I could to find new work. Initially I thought I could find work quickly but I have found the IT employment market to be impossible. There is deep recession in the job market here and some very dodgy practices such as:
Being excluded from applying because I once worked for a company they did not like. (this happened this week)
- false adverts (extremely common),
- people interviewing simply to gather information from me about my former employer,
- Interviewing for non-existant jobs
- Agents Interviewing for vacancies which had knowingly already stbeen filled.
- changing job descriptions as a means to exclude applicants,
- poor pay,
- pathetically short contracts
- project withdrawals,
- interviewing for projects which haven’t been approved.
- withdrawing the vacancy after being told I got the job.
- Impossible sets of technical requirements. Bizarre combinations of tools which surely only a few people anywhere may have encountered.
A total in-ability to act quickly and decisively about projects and people.