The Auckland Regional Transport Authority knew in July 2009 that there was going to be over demand for services during the world cup and warned against complacency.
The report, released under the official information act, showed that more than four times the normal demand would be placed on public transport in the city during the tournament
They can’t say they weren’t warned, especially as the disruption caused to trains during the U2 concert was an omen of things to come:
2 February 2010 Fears Auckland won’t cope with Rugby World Cup
Auckland is not ready to cope with tens of thousands of international visitors set to flood the city for the 2011 Rugby World Cup, a report reveals.
Transport Minister Steven Joyce and Auckland Mayor John Banks say they are confident the city will be prepared, but a draft transport strategy released under the Official Information Act shows transport planners are worried.
The Auckland Regional Transport Authority report, written last July, warned of complacency over demand for services.
“During presentations and meetings with decision-makers an attitude of `this is a small increase in business as usual’ has been encountered,” the report says.
“The levels of patron movement and operational standard [needed for the RWC] are in reality significantly above what is currently delivered.”
The cup is the third-biggest sporting event in the world and is expected to attract a television audience of up to four billion, plus 60,000 overseas visitors.
The influx of visitors would place more than four times the demand on public transport than Auckland had seen before.
“In a number of areas there are limited people who are able to perform tasks that are either needed, or may be needed,” the report said.
Nearly 2km of roadside parking had to be found around Eden Park for 130 buses and the entire fleet of 38 Auckland trains would be needed on match days.
Mr Joyce said last night the report showed there was “considerable work to do”, but good progress had been made since the report was written.
“There are a number of organisations with a lot of skin in this game, the Government not the least one, so I think everybody is pretty focused.”…more here
The Herald later reported on Sunday 11 September that a report into public transport chaos on the opening night is being undertaken by Auckland Transport chairman Mark Ford and chief executive David Warburton.
It is expected to be finished and handed to Auckland Mayor Len Brown on Tuesday. source
Click here to read our other blogs about the failure of Auckland’s public transport system and crowd management on the night of 9 September 2011.