His failure to remember his position on the apartheid sanction-busting Springbok tour of New Zealand in 1981 caused him to be ‘forgotten’ by the world’s media during the Nelson Mandela remembrance service (World’s Press Blasé About John Key: David Cameron’s “Unidentified Guest”).
The Huffington Post praised British PM Cameron for distancing himself from anti-apartheid policies and published an article headed New Zealand’s Leader Questioned Over Apartheid Amnesia. For background read Quotes of the Day – Unequal New Zealand and its Prime Minister’s “amnesic position” on Apartheid.
Back to the reddit thread then. You can read it here , it was compiled a couple of days ago by a character called GrammernOtgood, a redditor for 10 months.
The big list of John Key’s lies
1 John Key claimed that he didn’t know about the Exclusive Brethren tactics. False .
2 John Key claimed that he didn’t have Tranz Rail Shares. False.
- He actually said he had between 25k – 50k shares, but after a journalist discovered his family trust had also bought some, he changed it to 100k. Still dodgy, but not quite claiming he didn’t have any. /u/jandalofdoom  http://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/293rq9/labour_vindicated_by_lius_error_story_politics_3/cih5yvz
- Herald: Key accused of lying over Tranz Rail shares
3 John Key claimed that he didn’t own a vineyard. False
4 John Key claimed that he voted to keep the drinking age at 20. False .
5 John Key claimed that he didn’t know about the renewal of the BMW contract in 2011. False .
6 John Key claimed the wage gap between New Zealand and Australia had closed under the National government. False .
7 John Key claimed that his office had no involvement with the SkyCity deal. False .
8 John Key claimed that the Sky City deal will provide 1000 construction jobs and 800 casino jobs. False .
9 John Key claimed that all five bidders for the convention centre were treated equally. False .
10 John Key claimed that Solid Energy asked the government for a $1 billion capital investment. False .
11 John Key claimed that the 2011 Budget would create in the order of 170,000 jobs. False .
12 John Key claimed that NZ SAS soldiers were not involved in the Kabul Hotel gunfight. False .
13 John Key claimed that Iain Rennie recommended Ian Fletcher for the GCSB job. False .
14 John Key claimed that he hadn’t seen Ian Fletcher in a long time. False .
15 John Key claimed that it was always the intent of the GCSB Act to be able to spy on New Zealanders. False.– Not sure what this one means.
16 John Key claimed that the illegal spying on Kim Dotcom was an isolated incident. False .
17 John Key claimed that the bulk of New Zealanders earn between $45,000 and $75,000 a year. False .
- According to Statistics New Zealand’s New Zealand Income Survey results for the June 2010 the median income (the amount which half the people in the country earn below) was $529 per week, which equates to $27508 per year.
18 John Key claimed that he is honest and upfront. False – see above.
19 Video of John Key on the campaign trail in 2008 ruling out a rise in GST if he won the election. False
21 update 10/07/2014, “National promised in its 2011 election manifesto all state houses which could be practically insulated would be.” False
‘In answer to written questions this week, Housing Minister Nick Smith said of the 30 percent of the 68,000 houses under Housing New Zealand’s management had not been insulated.”
22 More GCSB – at least Key’s pal is in charge now…
“The spymaster who initially cleared the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) of illegally snooping on Kim Dotcom was also directly involved in seeking the suppression order signed by Bill English as Acting Prime Minister.”
The Herald has learned former chief legal adviser Hugh Wolfensohn was involved in arranging the once-in-a-decade certificate which sought to bury the scandal.
The Prime Minister confirmed yesterday for the first time it was Mr Wolfensohn’s advice that quelled GCSB and police fears they had illegally spied on Mr Dotcom and his co-accused Bram van der Kolk.
He told Parliament: “The best of the legal advice presented by Hugh Wolfensohn was that it was legal. As we now know, GCSB and Mr Wolfensohn were wrong.*
Mr Wolfensohn no longer works at the bureau after being placed on “gardening leave”. A spokesman for the GCSB said of Mr Wolfensohn’s advice: “With hindsight, we know it wasn’t right.”
24 “Gerry Brownlee breaches airport security rules”. Every other National MP that has broken much less serious rules (and got caught) has been removed from their position. Hypocrisy
- Using the exit door jokes, optional.
25 Genesis energy asset sales will be predominantly ‘mum and dad’ buyers. False .
“A controversial American couple are the biggest investors in recently floated Genesis Energy – sparking angry claims the Government has been caught out “screwing the scrum” against mum and dad Kiwi buyers.”
26 “The good news was I was having dinner with Ngāti Porou, as opposed to their neighbouring Iwi ,which was Tuhoi, in which case I would have been dinner” (audio )
- John Key being a dick about GCSB (to tax payers and) Russel Norman in question time  .
- Eight NZ politicians who were forced to resign
- Key rejects criticism over Mubarak comments – Supporting a tyrant and a dictator with no representation for the Egyptian people was fine because Mubarak supported Israel
- Open letter to Eugene Bingham or would you have voted for John Key if you had known i. The true relationship John Key had with Andrew Krieger and the attack on the NZ dollar in late 1987.ii. The role John Key had in the Asian Crisis, the Russian collapse and the collapse of the LTCM hedgefund.
iii. The role John Key had in the Subprime trade and the real timeline of the Subprime crisis and the subsequent collapse of the global economy.