Another reminder today that New Zealand continues to be an unsafe tourism destination: the news that a 20 year old man was attacked by a gang of youths in central Auckland and suffered serious stab wounds to his stomach.
Here’s what the news site stuff.co.nz had to say on the matter
“A 20-year-old man has been taken to Auckland Hospital with a stab wound to his stomach after being attacked by a group of youths in Albert Street just after 2am.
The man is reported to have serious but not life-threatening injuries.
Police are investigating and looking for a group of 5-7 youths, who ran from the scene immediately after the stabbing”. source
The attack follows the Boxing Day savage beating of two young German tourists by a gang of youths in Whakatane. (German Tourists Have Nightmare Injuries: Couple Savagely Beaten and Robbed in Whakatane, German Tourists Robbed in Invercargill), and the Christmas Day gang beating of a man in Richmond, Nelson. Police said the unprovoked attack was particularly vicious and had the potential to be fatal (Nelson man left with multiple facial fractures after assault).
Police aren’t releasing names, nor are they saying if the victims are tourists.
Planning a New Zealand vacation? our advice is to go somewhere safer until it sorts out its violent crime problem
- German Tourist Couple Mugged in Whakatane, German Tourists Robbed in Invercargill (e2nz.org)
- Close-knit communities key to cutting crime stats (Rotorua Daily Post)
- Stabbing in Albert Street (radionz.co.nz)
- Tourist beaten beyond recognition (nzherald.co.nz)
- Arrest after man attacked in Auckland (stuff.co.nz)
- Auckland attack: McFarlane charged with manslaughter (nzherald.co.nz)
- Police search for Good Samaritan (nzherald.co.nz)
- Police seek would-be sex attacker (stuff.co.nz)
- Teens charged over attack on German campers (stuff.co.nz)