More details are emerging that medical services were stretched to the limit Friday night in downtown Auckland: the night of the world cup opening.
The Herald reports today that Auckland City Hospital was full to capacity and had a traffic jam outside, forcing it to transport the injured to other hospitals in Auckland
Auckland City Hospital was so overloaded with drunk and injured revellers on Friday that ambulances had to take patients to other hospitals.
The crush reached its peak about 9pm when a record 26 ambulances arrived in one hour at the central hospital – one every 2.3 minutes.
“The ambulances were becoming increasingly slow to unload at Auckland Hospital, just because of the sheer number of them,” the clinical director of the adults’ emergency department, Dr Tim Parke, said yesterday. “We started to have a traffic jam outside the hospital.”
From 10.30 on Friday night until 1am Saturday, ambulances took some patients from the Auckland CBD and surrounding areas to Middlemore Hospital and North Shore Hospital, to reduce the demand on the central city’s public hospital.
Even with some patients diverted elsewhere, the Auckland Hospital adults’ ED saw 28 per cent more patients than usual across Friday and Saturday, breaking records on both days…more here
The morning after the night before
On Saturday morning there were already hints that all was not as it should have been the previous night in Auckland, and suggestions of a lack of planning and control with regards to alcohol sales and consumption, especially on the streets -most of the injuries were alcohol related. There were only 200 police officers on duty, assisted by security companies.
“Auckland Accident and Emergency staff said they were kept extremely busy attending to people who were assaulted, injured in car accidents or who sustained alcohol-related injuries.
Auckland hospitals communications manger Mark Fenwick said there was “a lot of alcohol related harm.
He said a 33-year-old man and a 12-year-old child were in a stable condition.
A 50-year-old woman had been discharged following a crash involving a bus, car and pedestrian on Fanshawe St at around 7pm.
Six people were injured in the crash. Three suffered serious injuries and the others had moderate injuries. They had all been treated at Auckland Hospital.
Two males, 38 and 21, were also admitted to accident and emergency with head injuries following an assault.
Fenwick said the 38 year old was in a serious but stable condition and the 21 year old was stable following surgery last night. Fenwick said 40 people remained in accident and emergency this morning and “percentage wise we were at 103%”…” more here