Albany School on Auckland’s North Shore is in lockdown this morning after 3 people were stabbed. RadioLive reported two of them were seriously injured and another had died. Another report from Newstalk ZB said a woman had been killed and two younger people injured.
Police apprehended Brent Scott in connection with the stabbings. He been due in North Shore District Court this afternoon for a case review on unknown charges.
The attack took place at the rear entrance to Albany Primary Sschool at the junction of Vinewood Drive and Bass Road at 8:50 this morning. The attacker then left the scene and headed for Rangitoto College
There were reports from people connected to Rangitoto College that a man had stabbed his partner and had come to the school looking for his child.
A staff member at Rangitoto College told One News they understood “a student’s dad has stabbed the mum and is now on the way here”.
One mother who contacted NZME. News Service said her 15-year-old daughter had been locked inside her Rangitoto College classroom since earlier this morning…source
Schools in New Zealand are open campuses have very little protection or security from intruders. However, pupils do routinely carry out lock-down drills.
Scott was described thus by the NZ Herald
Scott is listed as the sole director of Warthog Blade Sharpeners NZ Limited. The company has a head office in South Africa. The website says it began operating in 1999 and had been manufacturing and exporting a “patented high quality diamond knife sharpeners for more than 10 years”.
The company’s registered address is 2 Mahoney Drive, close to the site of the stabbings.
Albany Primary issued this message shortly before its website crashed..
“Albany Primary School is currently in lock down procedure as there is a police operation in the area. We are keeping all students inside classrooms as a precaution. There is no danger to any students or staff. There is no need to panic. Please do not come to school as we are following lock down procedures. We will update our website regularly to keep you updated of any changes. We are trying to keep all phone lines clear.”
According to Stuff.co.nz
Witness Hailee Wheeler said she saw the rescue helicopter land at Albany Primary School as parents were running around frantically.
“They were doing CPR on the person then the helicopter landed right in the yard,” she said.
“I think it had just happened. There were lots of parents there, they were hysterical trying to get their kids out.”
She said parents were attempting to collect their children but were told all classrooms were in lockdown. She said students were hiding under their desks.
Wheeler, who runs Albany business Brown All Year, said she saw about six ambulances and six police cars race past her building.
About 12 or 15 police officers were running up the road just before 9.30am, she said.
Wheeler said her cousin had witnessed another person receiving CPR, near Bass Rd.
Another witness, Ana Solo, was walking her friend to the bus stop about 9.40am and saw a person “lying in the gutter”.
She said the man seemed to be aged in his 20s and it looked like he had been stabbed.
“He’s lying right there, it’s like he’s been stabbed or something.” Solo was not allowed to return to her partner’s house on Vinewood Drive.
“There’s heaps of police down there, it’s all been barricaded off.”
Here’s the statement from Albany Primary School regarding the lockdown.
— Stuff.co.nz News (@NZStuff) November 26, 2014
Parents were advised not to go to the school. Five ambulances and a rescue helicopter were called to the scene.
While the hunt went on for Scott the following schools were also placed in lockdown
* Pinehurst School
* Rangitoto College
* Albany Senior High School
* Albany Junior High School
* Albany Primary School
* Murrays Bay Intermediate
* Kristin Senior School and Kindergarten
* Nga Whare Maha Te Kohanga Reo
* Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Raki Paewhenua
Shortly before 11am Newstalk ZB reported that a man had been apprehended.
Proof that some NZ journalists still have the ability to ask hard questions:
— Philip Matthews (@secondzeit) November 25, 2014
Phil de Joux used to be John Key’s Deputy Chief of Staff.
Key had previously refused to name De Joux saying it was “not in the public interest but the ombudsman over-ruled him. De Joux is presently Head of Government Affairs and Industry Relations, Air New Zealand and an exec board member for the NZUS Council.
The interview may be found here http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player/20158616
Kiwi Comments About John Key’s Rewriting of New Zealand’s Turbulent Past – The Lies White People Tell.
— Helen Kelly (@helenkellyCTU) November 20, 2014
For background read
Students who sat NCEA level 3 history exams last week might be very worried to hear the Prime Minister tell a Radio Station that New Zealand was one of the few countries that was settled peacefully by Europeans.
Those students who wrote about a bloody and violent settlement of Aotearoa in their NCEA exam; who wrote about the deaths of thousands of Maori and hundreds of Pakeha in land wars, about the wrongful confiscation of millions of acres of land, must think they’d got itall terribly wrong if the PM says New Zealand was settled peacefully.
But teachers we’ve spoken with today can put their minds at rest.
The Prime Minister, in fact, was the one who would have failed last week’s NCEA level 3 history exam had he written about the peaceful and rosy settlement of New Zealand.
History teachers have told us that students of New Zealand history are taught a very different version of events; of a very unpeaceful process, one where Maori who fought against the Crown as it sought to obtain more land for settlers were punished with the confiscation of their land or even by death.
Kids who learn about New Zealand history are taught, in fact, that the direct source of the land wars in the 1860s was a misundertanding of the Treaty – a misunderstanding that led to horrible bloodshed and laws, such as the New Zealand Settlement Act 1865, which legislated for the confiscation of Maori land for use by settlers.
To call that a peaceful settlement is an example of the same kind of staggering arrogance as displayed by Australian Prime Minster Tony Abbott when he said last week that there was nothing but bush in Australia before the white men came along.
But John Key didn’t finish there. He said early Maori would have been grateful for the injection of capital Pakeha brought with them when they settled in Aotearoa.
Maori would have been grateful.
For the capital.
The Prime Minister’s warped view of history is an insult to all New Zealanders, especially to those who died trying to protect their land, and to Maori who are still fighting for the full settlement of past grievances today.
It is a perspective that is belies history, but is also damaging to race relations and undermining decades of efforts, including even by his own Government, to address some of the historic wrongs.
In reality, if John Key wanted to pass NCEA level 3 history he’d have needed to produce an essay much like this one.
The New Zealand arm of the Woolworth enterprise, owned by Progressive Enterprises, has been cleared of wrong doing by the Competition Commission.
The Commerce Commission said that based on the evidence it gathered during a nine-month investigation it “does not believe that Progressive has breached any of the laws it enforces and it will not be taking any action against Progressive”.
The commission launched its investigation following a series of allegations made by former Labour MP Shane Jones under the protection of parliamentary privilege early this year…
Shane Jones unfounded accusations were taken up by anti-Australian protestor Nevan Lancaster .
A shame to his country, Lancaster launched the Facebook group Boycott Countdown to smear the supermarket chain’s reputation, descending into ad hominem attacks, branding the company “Scroogdown.”
Blinded by his hatred for all things Australian, Lancaster had scant regard for the 10,000 people employed by the company in New Zealand, many of whom depend on the company to feed their families and pay their rents and mortgages.
In February 2014 Lancaster went as low as to suggest Australia be left to burn.
Never trust an Aussie‘
The page, which is administered by Nevan Lancaster, a Tauranga ‘accountant’ with a low literacy standard, posted this garbled message about imputation credits on 7 February 2014.
This has being (sic) an issue for several years with Australia penalizing NZ investors while NZ has allowed Aussie’s (sic) to take advantage of our imputation credits. Still hew (sic) only promised to look not actually fix. Never trust and (sic) Aussie! source
Now we may be getting down to the real reason for his call to boycott Australian businesses – does he resent paying tax on his Australian investments? Maybe that’s the reason for the bully-boy tactics, or maybe he just hates Australians?
Mr Lancaster also owns kayak rental business. Is he going to refuse to serve Aussies from now on? (Ed. highly unlikely, cash wins).
On the same day his hatred for Australian businesses and tax systems spilled over, and he started to suggest that Australia be left to burn in bush fires, forgetting the assistance that Australia gave during the Christchurch earthquakes and Pike River (Coal) Mine disaster (see image at the top of this page).
A sore loser, his one-eyed outlook on life continues today with this rant. He ignores the practices of Kiwi-owned companies and appears obsessed with hatred.
- Boycott Coundown Xenophobia – Nevan Lancaster Called a ‘Shill.’ Commerce Commission Backed off in 2010
- New Zealand Hate Site Says ‘Let Australia Burn.’ Time for FB to Ban the Boycott Site?
Severe Earthquake Strikes Just as Earthquake Commission Staff Are Labelled “Ailing” : Drug Abuse & Under Performance Exposed by OIA Request
Still affected by the Earthquake Commission’s incompetence? you may want to read this article in today’s Stuff:
Earthquake Commission (EQC) staff have been caught out using a Class A drug, assessing earthquake damage in 76 seconds and bullying.
A long list of behavioural and performance issues has been released to The Press under the Official Information Act and reveal the “unhealthy at best” culture within the organisation, a community advocate says.
Former EQC staff and contractors have spoken anonymously about the way the organisation operates with one saying the commission’s disciplinary procedures were “horrendous”.
Many complaints related to incompetence when assessing quake damage and identifying the correct repair method.
Other examples include one employee being charged and convicted of assault after a domestic incident with his partner…
…One assessor who was incompetent and could not correctly identify quake damage and repair strategies was also sacked after a meeting with HR, the documents show.
An ex-EQC contractor, who did not wish to be named, said the culture within the organisation was one of “shut up and do what you’re told”… more here
A severe earthquake has been recorded today, 155 km east of Te Araroa at 11.33am this morning. The prolonged 6.5 magnitude quake occurred at a depth of 31km. At first it was erroneously recorded as centred at Hanmer Springs. It was felt widely around the North Island
You may also be interested by
http://EQCRoyalfamily.wordpress.com (External site, HT to P. Ray for the link)
Looks like the tourist attack season is well underway in the Lawless North.
Blink and you may’ve missed this report in today’s edition of Stuff.co.nz. It has taken four days for police to come forward with details of the crime and to appeal for help. The north is nothing if not laid back.
A 48 year old German tourist has been beaten senseless and left with serious injuries after an attack in Waipu on Thursday 13th November. Police have yet to find his tent, bicycle and other belongings.
Leave the tourists alone
One Northland judge has already fired a shot across the bows of the region’s criminal element and has just jailed one of them. Many of these men make a lucrative income from robbing overseas tourists. a report about one of them has just appeared in the NZ Herald
As Northland prepares to welcome an influx of visitors this summer, a judge has warned that criminals who target tourists and their belongings will face the full force of the law.
Judge Greg Davis sounded the warning in the Whangarei District Court this week while sentencing a young man who broke into four cars hired by overseas tourists that were parked at A.H. Reed Memorial Park in Whareora Rd, Whangarei, and stole high-value items.
Hare Shortland, 23, stole nearly $8000 worth of items. He attributed his offending to a lack of income and offered to pay reparation at $100 a week from benefits he intended to receive from Work and Income, but Judge Davis said that wasn’t realistic… more here
Meanwhile, in other Northland crime news…a man caught speeding while under the influence of methamphetamine with a German hitch-hiker in his car has appeared in court.
The charges stem from an incident on October 25 when Martin led police on a 20-minute chase in Paihia, reaching speeds of 150km/h after police attempted to stop the vehicle for speeding. Compounding the situation was the fact that a German tourist was in the car. He also pleaded guilty on Wednesday to unrelated charges of possession of utensils for the manufacture of P, possession of cannabis seed, male assaults female, breach of bail and breach of release conditions… more here
Still thinking about visiting Northland this summer?
You may also like
Hours after we wrote about the failure of the ‘comical’ New Zealand justice system and calls for private police to patrol the streets of Hamilton (read Brazil’s Police Succeed Where NZ’s Police Fail) there have been two further developments. Both of them are parlous statements about New Zealand’s failure to bring its escalating crime problem under control.
1. Riot Gas and batons on the streets of Hamilton Hamilton police used riot gas and batons overnight to break up an attack on a police officer during a street brawl (the NZ media carefully avoided the word riot in their reporting). A 17 year old youth has been charged with assaulting a police officer and is due to appear in court.
2. Botched-up redaction of briefing paper A botched up briefing paper, prepared for the incoming Justice Minister, failed to properly redact sensitive sentences about cuts in police and court budgets, and other fiscal restrictions on the justice sector. The document was was released under the Official Information Act (demonstrating how much official information is sanitized before it is released to the public) with the redactions still visible. Here’s how it was reported in the New Zealand Herald
The final passage of the executive summary which was obscured noted that “sustaining an effective and trusted justice system does, however, require a level of baseline funding that is now under some pressure“. Later, the briefing – which covers the Justice Department, Police, Corrections, the Serious Fraud Office and Crown Law – notes that “despite significant progress within flat baselines, under the existing operating model and without new resource, the sector’s ability to continue improving performance is constrained’. “The current operating model (with fixed numbers of police, and a nation-wide network of courts and prisons) is likely to cost at least $140 million more than current baselines by 2017/18. Sustaining an effective and trusted justice system requires a level of baseline funding that is now under considerable pressure.” The briefing also says that, Courts and Police, allowing for inflation had experience cuts in funding of 7 per cent and 3 per cent since 2010. Earlier this year after the Government sliced a little more off their funding in the last Budget, Police officers warned “something will break” if their funding was squeezed any further.”
No doubt the people of Hamilton will agree with that last statement. Youth Crime But wait, there’s more. A solution to countering the country’s burgeoning number of youth offenders is to treat 17 year olds like children another year. The 17 year old arrested in Hamilton couldn’t have timed it better.
The briefing sets challenges for maintaining trust and confidence in the justice system including “Effective responses for 17 year olds”. “Currently the adult criminal jurisdiction begins at 17, which is out of step with comparable jurisdictions and international legal obligations. Evidence suggests better long term justice outcomes (reduced lifetime offending) and social and economic outcomes (improved skills and employment prospects) could be achieved by dealing with 17 year olds in a different way to adults,” the briefing says…” read the full news report here