Updated 16 March 2016
Recently E2NZ.org has been getting some traffic from backlinks to reddit discussions about something known as Area 64 (presumably based on the international area code for New Zealand?) and we’re aware of some defamatory remarks that have been made about either the E2NZ.org site admin or our members.
Area 64 and 4Chan
We ascertained some of the members of the Area 64 reddit.com group may have conspired to try to hack this site and enlisted the help of the 4Chan community, a plan that backfired on them.
Historically, we had back links to 4Chan at about the same time we were getting the first hits from reddit’s Area 64. Our logs show we’ve had a total of 7,245 referrals from reddit – 18 of them from Area 64. We’ve also had 8 from 4Chan.
We’d be grateful if readers who are aware of the situation could fill us in on the rest of the details. All information will be treated in confidence, please say if you don’t want your comment to be published. Normal comment guidelines apply.
Thank you, Admin.
Update: The people responsible may surprise you
It appears that not only was E2NZ.org attacked by Area 64 but quote “the proletariat filth” (a term used by area64 to describe the users of reddit New Zealand) was also trolled by the same people. Furthermore, at least two of those responsible were long-time moderators of reddit New Zealand. One resigned after images from Area 64 were made public, the other (Dead_Rooster) staunchly refuses to do the decent thing.
We’re getting information that the other people involved in Area 64 included a senior lecturer at a NZ university with a passion for photography, a newly qualified doctor who spent some time in Scotland training, a South Island pharmacist, an Auckland based graffiti street artist, a teacher, a Hamilton council worker, a journalist based in NZ, a stay at home Wellington mum married to a graphic artist who works for a national union, an IT specialist and a freelance Kiwi journalist working in LA.
Elsewhere in the world, one may normally associate such people with having at least a modicum of integrity and emotional maturity, but in New Zealand? not so much. Its toxic culture and the effects of its “monstrous irony” are well evident…
Here’s a cached view of a post made to reddit New Zealand, blowing the lid on Area64. The original was deleted but we were sent a copy of it.
To read more about this, and to view links to Area 64 material, visit the E2NZ.org troll zoo: http://trollsnzandkoolaid.wordpress.com
Update: Area 64 hyped up the Auckland doxxing debacle to try to take control of r/Auckland:
For those who aren’t aware of what happened, a summary of the debacle was posted on reddit by /u/NZshitstorm. This is reproduced below. It appears that the reddit new zealand moderators hyped up the Auckland doxxing debacle as a ploy to take over control of the Auckland sub-reddit with the help of Area 64 members.
Last year, there was a significant amount of drama when it was discovered that the long term organisers for the /r/Auckland meet up were compiling users personal information into a spreadsheet. There were over 130 usernames on the list that the organisers had matched up to Facebook accounts and included additional info on. The organisers claimed to have only used it so that they wouldn’t be double messaging reminders (on Reddit and FB) and to have deleted the list after every meet up, but users come forward about how their full names were on it despite attending only once over a year ago. Someones holiday plans are also on the spreadsheet. Someone claiming to be one of the organisers went around and stirred up a lot of drama by attacking everyone who commented on how awful the situation was (remember this person).
Now onto the thread you’ve linked. The majority of comments seem to be people saying that everyone should get over it and nothing bad happened. I found out later that this is because the mods have been removing any comments explaining what happened – I know, because they removed mine which by the way, did not include any identifying information or usernames…
…I just read through all the comments here and was kindly PMed the original message containing screenshots of area64 by someone. You were mentioned in one of the comments but I can’t find it now (there is a lot of screenshots).
Basically, there is a private sub called /r/area64 which is a sub that ~31 prominent /r/nz users are in. bear in mind that some of those 31 accounts are alts. They talk about anything and everything there. If you recognise the username in this sub, then they almost definitely were in area64. I’m actually quite taken back at how many were in on it but it makes a lot of sense in hindsight because this sub has always had such a strong clique feeling to it. Like there were a million private jokes between a large group of users and fuck you if you subbed late. I dunno about anyone else but I’ve been subbed here for two years and still don’t feel like I belong. Hell, I’m using a burner account to post this. A couple of the accounts seem to be pretty decent though, and I don’t want to forward on the message because it could get one of them in a lot of trouble because it mentions their previous work hassles.
Things covered in the screenshots:
- discussion over how anything that is posted in area64 stays strictly in area64 and is never mentioned elsewhere. Really pretentious if you ask me, but whatever. The comments in general just come off as a “hey look guys we’re in a secret club so don’t invite anyone gross” childish sort of thing. There’s one point where a mod says to be careful not to have everyone pile in to a linked /r/nz
- discussion on bending /r/nz rules for area64 members (although the example given seemed somewhat fair, it’s still not a good look)
- they openly discuss people who have switched accounts. It’s pretty much doxxing. Now to be fair, the people they doxxed were doxxers themselves to a much worse degree but that doesn’t excuse what they’re doing.
- They discuss other peoples mental illnesses. Without their knowledge.
- There’s a lot more info regarding the infamous Auckland doxxing. They post PMs that were sent back and forth from the doxxers, openly discuss how crazy and messed up they were, post the new/alt accounts of them, and mention some more details that were on the spreadsheet, like how one guy was on holiday in China.
- one of the area64 mods trolled the auckland doxxing thread by impersonating the doxxer, using information that he got from area64. His alt accounts are listed in the screenshots. He was also shadowbanned on another account for following another user around and downvoting and harassing them.
- One of the users bitches about three other users that are annoying her and that it’s “odd” because they’re all female. I’m quite surprised she didn’t mention me because I’ve personally never been able to stand her passive aggressive pretentiousness. Other people point out shes been snarky back at them.
- the header photo for the sub is a collage of people flipping the bird. It’s really cringey and the subs intent is clear.
- Judging by the mod list, area64 is 3 years old. two thirds of the mods have been there longer than 2 years. they only have four rules, and two of them are saying that it needs to be kept utterly secret and that they need to respect the privacy of other area64 members (which is complete horseshit when you look at how they treat others) and another rule says to not be a dickhead. Their /r/area64drama spinoff is officially described as “literally a downvote brigade”
- there is a screenshot of a area64 thread that is posted from the alt account of a /r/nz mod asking people to “brigade” his last post because he needs people to pay more attention to it. From the sounds of it the thread was asking for money for his neighbours sons cancer treatment so make of that what you will. Several users agree to help. Another /r/nz mod posts but doesn’t chastise him so it seems he’s okay with area64 brigading.
Any questions, feel free to ask. Also to whoever leaked the info, thanks. It’s good(?) to see how the mods of this sub act.
Addtional material supplied by our readers
Here’s what I got sent:
Someone gets cold feet about the trolling and doxxing https://imgur.com/a/audX1
Doxx update https://imgur.com/a/Tt8lS
That escalated quickly, more about the Doxxing Saga https://imgur.com/a/pfb7T
Fallingupalready (aka yurcoxafailin/mickeyfinned/acerbater) and Dead_Rooster (aka goldenchicken) conspire to hack a sub and a web site from within /r/Area64 https://imgur.com/a/E4rEy
Area 64 mods, “Wait, so are you guys really conceited enough to think you need your own subreddit removed from the proletariat filth in /r/newzealand? UNEQUIVOCALLY” https://imgur.com/a/QueXd Area64 drama is literally a downvote brigade.
Conduct unbecoming a mod https://imgur.com/WQ0Kv1k
Why acerbater changed into yurcoxafailin https://imgur.com/a/erd9i
Your cock is failing https://imgur.com/a/J1HKh
One for the E2NZ crew https://imgur.com/a/lzTaR
Mod mail disappointment https://imgur.com/JRup7jS
Area 64 mod mail Mickey invited to mod https://imgur.com/a/h6XUC
Shetland. Pavement Fuck, Iamcoder and hanneeplannee https://imgur.com/a/MhJqB
Area64 header https://imgur.com/korwJWS Area 64 mods, rules and other subs, r/nz can be a great big pile of horseshit https://imgur.com/a/HmmNL
I think there’s more but I’ve not got them yet.
rraaarr, Dead_Rooster (head mod at /r/newzealand) and Story_time discuss using shared accounts and passwords to troll /r/newzealand https://imgur.com/KXPRVHD. Reddit admin may be interested in this?
All of the people involved in Area 64 still have active reddit accounts, acerbater/yurcoxafailin/fallingupalready/mickeyfinned now uses the name SIS-NZ, and the present /r/newzealand moderators protect them while continuing to defame the owners of this site – falsely accusing us of all manner of despicable acts.
Let the evidence speak for itself.
We think we’re owed an apology, and about time too. Remember folks…