Prominent New Zealander to Lose Name Suppression Pending Appeal

justice is not blind

Name suppression for “Prominent New Zealanders” involved in sex offences is becoming an embarrassment

New Zealand’s worst kept secret may be about to be made public.

The latest “Prominent New Zealander”  to be charged with indecent assault has lost his name suppression, pending the outcome of an appeal. The NZ public will have to wait until March 19 before he is finally unveiled.

The Herald wrote…

Heavy suppression orders cover the case, meaning the man cannot be identified, nor can his alleged victims or their ages.

The charges faced by the man, who elected trial by jury, can now be revealed. He is facing 12 charges of indecent assault against two people including two representative charges. The charges, which include allegations of touching the complainants on the breast, buttocks, groin and thigh, are punishable by up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

Name suppression for the man expires on March 19 or until the appeal is heard… more

Last month National Party MP Mike Sabin (an ex-police officer) resigned from parliament because he needed time away to deal with “personal issues.”

According to a moderated Wikipedia page …

In December 2014 New Zealand media reported that Sabin was under investigation by police over an assault complaint. The reports were not confirmed by the New Zealand Police, Prime Minister John Key or Sabin himself.

Sabin resigned from parliament on 30 January 2015 with immediate effect “due to personal issues that were best dealt with outside Parliament.” Key subsequently revealed that he had considered appointing Sabin as a minister when National was re-elected in 2014.

Prime Minister Key lost public credibility when he seemed unsure of the exact date on which he became of aware of Sabin’s “personal issues.”

There were suggestions Key knew about the assault investigation before the last election, not on December 1 when he says he first became aware. Police were asking questions about Sabin in August 2014, a good six weeks before the election on September 20.

One News..

confirmed that in early August police started looking into allegations against Mr Sabin. Two months later, on October 22, he was appointed chair of law and order select committee.

“Mike Sabin was a chair of the law and order select committee and…if there was a police investigation then there was a potential conflict of interest,” Labour leader Andrew Little says.

ONE News started making inquiries to government agencies and Mr Sabin on November 25.

December 1 is now when Mr Key says he first heard Mr Sabin had family issues. Then, last Friday, January 30, Mr Sabin resigned… source

The chair of the law and order select committee has been passed on to MP Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi and Mr Sabin’s electoral seat will be subject to a by-election.

Australian whistle-blowing site Lauda Finem has published a long article about Sabin and the serious of the accusations that were made against him. The site also discussed corrupt practices within the NZ police and their relationship to child abuse.

You may also be interested in these articles

Another Sex Offender Gets Name Suppression, Just Happens to be a Cop. ‘Alexandra Knows’ –

A police officer who used his work issued iPhone to take grubby photos of a young, teenaged girl has been awarded name suppression, though he didn’t get the discharge without conviction he was hoping for.

The 48 year old man, who resigned from the Otago police shortly after his offending was discovered, took pictures of the young girl while she was showering… more

Name Suppression V. The Rights Of The Child In New Zealand

You may remember the “well respected” professional man in Palmerston North, (Refered to as the Prominent Manawatu Man),  who was uncovered with 300,000 pornographic images on his computer after being caught in an FBI operation, many of them were of children.

As a practicing doctor, he was was given name suppression and sentenced to 4 months home detention.

You may also recall the ‘world famous in NZ’ muso (we use the term loosely) that was also given name suppression and discharged after pleading guilty to the sexual assault of a 16 year old girl.

One case that is presently before the court in Wellington shows how the cult of status may be being used to protect alleged wrong doers in New Zealand: people who really should know better and be setting an example to the rest of the community…

It just so happens that the boy’s father is a high profile public servant who has been granted name suppression. One can imagine the pressure this kid is under to stop dad from picking up a criminal record and losing his job. more

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Prominent New Zealander to Lose Name Suppression Pending Appeal

  1. Thanks for sharing this very interesting story. You alluded to the musician who slapped a sixteen year old with his penis. The person handling the case as Solicitor General for the Crown at that time was current High Court judge David Collins, who was quite happy to give this musician name suppression. In his role as Wellington High Court judge, Collins was also instrumental in suppressing the identity of the Malaysian diplomat who attempted a sexual assault on a young woman. It seems that the National government knows which judge to bring out whenever it has to conceal some unpleasant piece of information.

    Vince Siemer at http://www.kiwisfirst.co.nz has done a great expose on the corruption in the New Zealand courts, which has earned Siemer the enmity of inbred bogan judges such as David Collins.

    • One supposes that the Doctrine of Separation of Powers doesn’t exist in New Zealand, perhaps this is a result of neo-liberalism?

      And thanks for the offer SFNZ, yes please.

Comments are closed.