Another large, shallow quake rocked Canterbury this afternoon. The 4.8 quake was centred 10km NE of Christchurch near Waimairi Beach and was only 9 km deep.
This most recent quake caused disruption to power supplies for around half an hour and many people said it felt as powerful as the 7.1 quake that hit the region on 4 Sept.
Residents were quickly discussing this latest event on Trademe:
- OMG!!! that was shocking..power just back on now. We in Parklands and that felt like it was just under our house 😦
- That was not nice at all. I just wonder what the point is of fixing all the cracks in my house if it’s still going on. Really, that one had me trembling far worse than the 5.0 the other day – we live in North New Brighton so I guess it was much closer and that would be why.
- My daughter in Parklands. Her txt msg was holy f**k that was huge. So she must have been shaken up coz she only texts when there are big ones. ((((hugz)))) everyone. We had a little one in Wanaka this morning but hasn’t been recorded. Only a itty bitty one
- We got home from eastgate to discover stuff off the shelves inside the pantry – didn’t happen in the big one or any since until today. Also the cracks outside are a little bigger and a little wider. Grrr mother nature, go to sleep please!!
- Burwood has power. It was a doozy. My Mum is in Alpine View resthome & recons it was the 2nd to biggest ever. Im near the primary school & it was violent here.
In addition to many smaller quake hitting the region there is one large scale quake approximately every 6 days.