Living Accommodation: Housing Issues In New Zealand
Quotes from the leaked Draft New Zealand Energy Strategy, April 2011
“Many of our homes are cold and damp and are inadequately heated, contributing to health problems, days off work and school, hospitalisations and premature death.
People are encouraged to replace polluting fireplaces and old wood burners with clean heaters to reduce air pollution…
…Many New Zealand homes are inadequately insulated and have inefficient space and water heating systems. This means they are difficult and expensive to heat and as a result are often cold and damp.
Cold and damp homes cause health problems, particularly respiratory illnesses that result in days off work and school. There has been a market trend to build newer homes to be bigger and better heated. This has contributed towards a reported 10 percent growth in energy demand from the residential sector since 2001.
Householders often want to make improvements but lack access to capital and credible information to make informed energy efficiency investment decisions. Property investors lack the incentive to invest in improvements when they themselves do not realise the benefits of reduced energy costs.
A lack of information and expertise often results in decisions at the design and build stage that lock future owners and occupiers into higher energy costs...”
Low Standards of Living Accommodation
- “Insulation has only been a requirement since 1977, and much of New Zealand’s largely wooden housing stock remains uninsulated. It requires frequent maintenance, and its longevity has not been tested compared with housing overseas that has been in continuous use for several hundred years” source NZ Human Rights Commission
- The ‘Leaky Building’ epidemic is estimated to cost NZ$11 billion in repairs. This equates to about 10% of its GDP. It is so high it could adversely effect the country’s credit rating.
Expensive /Unaffordable Living Accommodation
- “Housing costs are usually the largest part of many people’s spending and determine what is left over for food, clothing, transport, recreation, sport, educational, and medical costs” source NZ Human Rights Commission
- The 2012 eighth annual Demographia International Housing Affordability Surveylooks at housing affordability in 325 urban markets in the United States, Britain, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Hong Kong and New Zealand.A market is considered unaffordable where the median house price exceeds three times the gross annual median household income. New Zealand as a whole had a figure, known as the median multiple, of 5.4. Auckland had 6.4, Christchurch had 6.3, Tauranga-Western Bay of Plenty had 5.9, Dunedin 5.2, Wellington 5.1, Palmerston North 4.1, Napier-Hastings 4.8, and Hamilton 4.8.The survey described all of New Zealand’s main centres as “severely unaffordable” and supports more relaxed land use planning rules than those prevailing in many of the cities it covers.
Co-author, and Christchurch resident Hugh Pavletich, said that for metropolitan areas to rate as affordable and ensure housing bubbles were not triggered, housing prices should not exceed three times gross annual household incomes.” source
- The mental and physical costs of poor housing cost $26 million a year. There is also a misconception about the indoor/outdoor lifestyle balance – in NZ people spend 75% of their time in their own house.
- “Financial tensions exist between income levels and housing costs. One in six New Zealand households in 2002 were recipients of the state-funded Accommodation Supplement (Human Rights Foundation et al., 2003). Entitlements to the accommodation supplement and other benefits under the Social Security Act 1964 are administered by Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ), an agency of the Ministry of Social Development (MSD).” source NZ Human Rights Commission
100% Pure NZ
Tweets about NZ cricket match fixing
Its good to see government and administrators are doing something to protect sport and its players from corruption: http://t.co/JerPRvHNyU— Heath Mills (@heathmmills) November 30, 2013
...but its not enough. We need specific laws, resource around education and protection systems. We are far too naive about this issue in NZ.— Heath Mills (@heathmmills) November 30, 2013
- Mr_Alex on Migrant Tales – Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- Jan McKeogh on Migrant Tales – Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- Jan McKeogh on Don’t Move to New Zealand
- E2NZ on Don’t Move to New Zealand
- True blue on Don’t Move to New Zealand
- E2NZ on An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- William Boot on An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- Allen on An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- Maclean on An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- P Ray on Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- P Ray on Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- SafeFromNewZealand on Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- brian nailer on Don’t Move to New Zealand
- Mr_Alex on Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- Allen on Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
NZ’s rape culture, or how NZ fails its women
What awaits skilled migrants in NZ?
Top of the Lake
Our most recent posts
- Nelson Mandela
- “New Zealand Migration Agents Cheating Malaysians Thousands Of Ringgit!”
- New Zealand Cricketers Caught Up in Match Fixing Allegations, Poor Domestic Governance to Blame?
- Migrant Tales – NZ Tertiary Education Sector a Rip-off
- Kiwi Kids Nose-Dive in the Education Stakes: PISA Scores – updated
- Migrant Tales – British Cop in Northland: NZ’s “Crime Statistics a Work of Fiction”
- German Tourist Seriously Injured in Napier Mugging, French Tourists Pistol Whipped, Sex Assualt in Motel Results in Community Service
- Palmerston North Armed Police Raid Private Home, Gas Cannisters Used
- E2NZ Quoted on the SA Going to NZ Forum
- Female Body Found in Wellington Harbour and Car Jacking in Auckland
- NZ’s Education System Gets a Resounding F, Must Try Harder.
- Ungrateful New Zealand Complains About Poor, Low Quality Tourists
- Migrant Tales – Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- 100% Pure NZ to Release Genetically Modified Frankenpossums
- 100% Pure Clean, Green NZ: Million People Drink Inadequately Treated Water
- Migrant Tales – The UK Plumber’s Tale (updated)
Traduire ce blog en plusieurs langues…
Afrikaans shqiptar العربية българска Català 中国 中國傳統 Hrvatska Czech Danske Nederlandse Eesti Filipino Suomalainen Français Galego Deutsch Ελληνικά עברית हिन्दी Magyar Bahasa Indonesia Italiana 日本 한국어 Latvijas Lietuviškai Malti Norske Polska Portuguese Romanian Россию Српска Slovenskému Slovenščina Español Svenska ไทย Türk Українське Việt ייִדיש
Our most popular links
- Six arrested after police bust meth ringSix people have been arrested after a two-day sting targeting a Manawatu methamphetamine supply ring.
- Life 'a misery' for victim, familyThe nine-year jail term imposed on a man who attacked Kapiti Coast builder Robert Bryden has been upheld on appeal.
- Pigs bashed with mallet, court toldA man has admitted hitting pigs about the head, neck, and shoulders with a steel mallet, and driving over a pig's head on his quad bike.
- Killer Clown Fiend refused right of appealConvicted murderer Mikhail Rafael Pandey-Johnson has been refused the right to appeal his conviction in the Supreme Court.
- Mum regrets assault A mother who hit her 6-year-old daughter on the head when she swore at her says a judge was right to convict her of assault.
- Murder accused 'blase' after husband's deathThe sister of alleged murder victim Philip James Nisbet broke down in tears when she saw the handwritten signature on a suicide note had vanished, a court has heard.
- Man accused of child abuse appealsA man accused of turning his garage into a den for child abuse appealed his charges today at the Supreme Court, in a case that will go on to frame the boundaries of child sex offending in New Zealand.
- More victims of sex abuse teacher fearedPolice have widen their investigation into teacher who admitted sexually abusing children to include former pupils of a Te Kuiti school.
- Man hid drugs in condomsA man who hid 212 grams of methamphetamine in 14 condoms in the ceiling at Auckland International Airport says he never thought he would get away with it.
- Abduction focus shifts to vehiclePolice are looking for a man they believe can help their investigation of the attempted abduction of a girl in Washdyke.
- Sights on imported airguns and military style firearms in new gun lawsLocation: National News Police welcome new laws coming into effect next week that place import restrictions on some airguns and clarify the definition of military style semi-automatic firearms. The Arms (Military Style Semi-automatic Firearms and Import Controls) Amendment Act was passed in 2012 and comes into effect on 11 December 2013. It creates a new cat […]
- Reuben Tapara InvestigationLocation: National News The Western Waikato CIB are conducting an investigation to establish whether there was any criminal offending by Mr Tapara during his time as a teacher at Te Kura Kaupapa, Oparure (now Te Wharekura o Maniapoto), near Te Kuiti. Mr Tapara has recently been prosecuted for offending against students at a Putaruru school where he was teac […]
- What police are doing to stop speeders [VIDEO]Location: National News NZ Police are rolling out a national advertising campaign in partnership with ACC to ensure the driving public know that there will be no tolerance for speeding this summer.
- Police seize over $120 million in drugs and assets during record breaking operation (plus photos)Location: National News The New Zealand Police and the Organised and Financial Crime Agency of New Zealand (OFCANZ) have seized over 330 kilograms of the Class B drug ContacNT in the biggest haul of its kind in New Zealand history. ContacNT is manufactured legally in China but is used in New Zealand to produce methamphetamine. The ContacNT seized during Oper […]
- Arrest in Tauranga investigationLocation: National News Tauranga Police have made an arrest in relation to the assault on Lance Michael Scullin in Merivale on Saturday, 30 November 2013. Detective Senior Sergeant Greg Turner said that a 32-year-old unemployed Tauranga man will appear in the Tauranga District Court later today charged with assault with intent to injure, common assault, and […]
- Tauranga interview opportunityLocation: National News Media representatives currently in Tauranga are invited to interview Detective Senior Sergeant Greg Turner at 2.30pm at Kesteven Avenue regarding the investigation in the death of Lance Scullin. Media enquiries to Communications Manager Kim Perks on 027 234 8256
- Tauranga Police release name of deceasedLocation: National News
- Police praise New Zealand Bravery Honours recipientsLocation: National News New Zealand Police welcome today’s announcement that 17 people, including eight police officers or former officers, are recipients of the country’s highest awards for bravery. Police Commissioner Peter Marshall said he is delighted to see the extraordinary courage of so many people honoured at Royal level. “The courageous and selfle […]
- School closure due to Tauranga death investigationLocation: National News
- Community spirit helps win football cupLocation: National News RYAN (Refugee Youth Action Network), from Auckland, have become the fifth champions of the New Zealand Communities Football Cup after winning against Bula Fiji from Hamilton. “It was great to have had a final between a talented refugee team from Auckland and a mixed cultural team from Hamilton.” said Inspector Rakesh Naidoo, National […]
- Live Web Cams
- New Zealand Warnings and Dangers
- THE AGORA
- What they say about E2NZ.org – Part 1
- Your Exit Interview
- Migrant Tales – Immigrant Stories About NZ
- Chapter 11
- Justice New Zealand Style
- Binge Drinking The Bane Of The Culture And NZ Is A Nation of ‘MJ’ Smokers
- British Cop in Northland: NZ’s “Crime Statistics a Work of Fiction”
- Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- NZ Not The Land Of Promise For Me
- Teaching in New Zealand and the NCEA
- The UK Plumber’s Tale (updated)
- Chapter 1
- Immigration Woes
- Leaving New Zealand
- Like Podlings Sucked Dry
- Married To A Kiwi in God’s Waiting Room
- Time To Leave – Can’t Find Work
- Two Years On And It’s Still Crap
- Why Are People Leaving NZ?
- Why Are You Leaving NZ?
- UK Qualifications Not Recognised
- What We Wished We’d Known
- Making Ends Meet
- A British Canadian’s Perspective
- Houses Are Overpriced Crap
- Economic Suicide
- Impossible Job Market
- Chapter 2
- “3+ Years In And Missing Blighty”
- “The Health Care System Is Second Rate”
- A Singaporean Says Living In NZ Different Experience – Updated
- An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- Don’t Move to New Zealand
- NZ A More Dangerous, More Violent Place
- Teacher Duped By The Hype, Couldn’t Find Work
- We Chose To Go With New Zealand. BIG MISTAKE
- Moved From Singapore For Better Life
- NZ Is Mis-Sold
- Skilled Migrants Drive Taxis To Survive
- University Lecturer Misled Over Job Offer
- Refuge From NZ Found In A Muslim Country
- IT Professional Puts His Finger On IT
- Chapter 3
- New Zealand Is Like A Postcard, “There is no sense of history or magic here”
- 7 Months In And No Work For Tradesman Husband
- A Prison Officer’s Thoughts
- American Says Tauranga ‘Mis-sold’
- Emigrating When You’re Older
- Heading Home After 3 Years
- No Work In Blenheim, Moved To Christchurch
- NZ Without A Job Offer
- Prison Officers In New Zealand
- Returning Kiwi Shunned
- Three Weeks In. An American’s First Impressions Of New Zealand
- Two And A Half Years In New Zealand – NZ Like South Dakota
- What’s It REALLY Like In New Zealand?
- Chapter 4
- “Observations About The Downside of New Zealand”
- 100% Pure Rip Off
- 6 Years In, Stay Or Go?
- An American’s Take On “Rip-Off New Zealand”
- Canadian Still Looking For Work
- It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- Studying In New Zealand
- Thinking About Teaching In New Zealand?
- Three Months In NZ And Tickets Are Booked
- Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- Work Culture In New Zealand
- How To Go To Bed, NZ Style
- Chapter 5
- “Close Minded Kiwis Ruined NZ For Us”
- ‘Non White’ Kiwi Treated Like Immigrant In Own Country
- Another WTR Visa Issued from Shanghai
- Effects Of Chch Quake On Expats
- If you doubt discrimination in NZ read this…
- No Science Or Skills Shortage In New Zealand
- Renting Houses In NZ – A Manual
- Trapped In NZ – Father Won’t Let Child Leave
- Chapter 6
- “Calling all teachers! Please help, I’m going mad!!”
- “God This Is A Mess” – Welcome To New Zealand
- Living Costs For One Person In NZ v. USA
- Migrant Tales. UK citizen lived 13 yrs Australia and 10 in NZ – A Comparison
- Perhaps We’re Just Unlucky But It’s Too Much. We’re Done Here
- Post Quake – How The Canterbury Disaster Has Affected Migrants And Visitors To NZ
- Teaching In NZ – A Migrant’s Exit Interview
- UK Qualified Plumbers, Beware
- Chapter 7
- “Thoughts from someone leaving NZ”
- A Culture Of Good Enough Will Do
- Chinese Student @ Otago
- Civil Engineer Now Cleaning Ovens In NZ – updated
- Expat In Christchurch Post Quake
- Immigrant Kid
- New Zealand Expo, No It Wasn’t
- New Zealand Is Draining The “Me” Out Of Me
- NZ, What’s To Miss?
- This Is Why I Didn’t Like New Zealand
- Two and a Half Years In…
- Why We Left New Zealand, After The Quake
- Chapter 8
- Indian Professional Faced Discrimination
- Adele’s Story, Kids Falling Light Years Behind
- An Insiders View of the Tertiary Education Sector in New Zealand
- Attention Nurses! You’re Getting a Rough Deal in NZ
- Brit Feeling “Foreign” In New Zealand. How About You?
- Green Migrants Beware of New Zealand’s Underbelly
- House Buying and Divorce Laws
- How resilient are we? A New Zealand immigrant’s perspective
- I Want Out : An American’s Tale
- Migrant Tales – I am young and I want to get out, Can you help me?
- Chapter 9
- Reality Check
- “NZ vs UK – not all it’s cracked up to be. Is it just me?”
- 6 Years 8 Months: The Best and Worst of Times
- Escape from Retardicon 6, part 1
- Foreign IT Workers Need Not Apply There Is No Shortage
- Lau’s Tale
- Lau’s Tale
- New Zealand is Over Rated
- Six years in New Zealand now I’m back in France.
- Thank God I Have Left New Zealand
- Victoria University, victims of crime can go to hell
- Chapter 10
- British Sparky Can’t Find Work (updated)
- Do not teach in New Zealand you may live to regret it
- England is the Best Place for Us Riots and All
- Get Out of New Zealand or Die on the Street
- Goodbye New Zealand
- New Zealand Culture is Brutal, Something is Seriously Wrong
- New Zealand is a Dump
- NZ Promised Land?
- Some of the Memories We Will Take Back With Us to Scotland
- Winter is Coming and New Zealand Homes are Dank and Full of Draughts
- Life After New Zealand
- Chapter 11
- What’s It Like To Live In NZ?
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “Most People Consider Hypothermia A Symptom Of Being Cold, Rather Than An Expression Of National Identity”
- A Selection Of Thoughts About NZ
- “30,000 A Year Go To Aussie. Why?”
- “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- “Nice Scenery, Good Wine and Food. Shame About The Inbred Psychopaths.”
- “NZ 5th Most Violent Country In The World”
- “Top 5 Things Wrong With New Zealand”
- Big Bucks For A Hillbilly Lifestyle
- Kiwi Longs To Escape Cargo Cult Lifestyle
- Kiwis Leaving For Australia At 12 Month High
- Ode to Whangarei
- Returning Kiwis Views About New Zealand
- Chapter 2 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “100% Pure Rip-Off”
- “NZ… Land of the Big Ripoff”
- “Smugly standing idle, with our hands out…NZ not part of real civilisation”
- “You Know You’re In Flaxmere When”
- Ever Had An Intruder In Your House When You Were There?
- Kiwi Lifestyle In Winter. Part 1
- Ministry Of Defence Houses “Freezing”
- NZ Houses Are Like Glorified Tents
- Third World NZ, No Place For The Poor Or Disabled
- Where To Go In Tauranga On New Year’s Eve?
- Who’d Be A Supermarket Employee
- Why Does Immigration NZ Let People Into NZ To Live…
- Chapter 3 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- NZ Life
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Violent Crime
- NZ Wiki
- Adventure Tourism And Safety
- Economics, Demographics And Immigration
- Children’s Issues
- Fraud and Dishonesty In New Zealand
- Green Credentials, Or Green Wash?
- Health And Death
- Hype, Spin And Restrictions On Freedom Of Information
- Infrastructure, Earthquakes and Tsunamis
- Living Accommodation: Housing Issues In New Zealand
- Road Crash Data
- External links
- #Madiba "Our human compassion binds us the one to the other" http://t.co/2aeEmGkniH 6 hours ago
- #GlobalWarming Clean, Green 100% pure NZ may revert to stubble burning, wonder what #Kiribati thinks of it? #carbon stuff.co.nz/business/farmi… 7 hours ago
- NZ Cricketers Caught Up in March Fixing Allegations, Poor Domestic Governance to Blame? #nzcricket #corruption wp.me/pxRDf-4hF 1 day ago
- RT @heathmmills: Its good to see government and administrators are doing something to protect sport and its players from corruption: http:/… 1 day ago
- RT @heathmmills: ...but its not enough. We need specific laws, resource around education and protection systems. We are far too naive about… 1 day ago
- RT @nzherald: NZ Cricket Players Association's @heathmmills: "The onus falls on those who are the subject of the investigation." http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @cricketbetting: Also, good of ICC to warn/lie that they operate a 'zero-tolerance approach to corruption' 1 day ago
- RT @cricketbetting: ACSU investigating New Zealand cricketers. On the illegal grapevine at least 4 names have cropped up regularly 1 day ago
- RT @AliIkram: My deep love of John Banks comes not from his political career but his status as 1 of the most gifted performance artists the… 1 day ago
- RT @peta: We just hit 2 MILLION followers on Facebook! HUGE thanks 2 all who help make millions of ppl care more abt animals ♥ http://t.co/… 1 day ago
The Long Write Cloud
Interesting facts about E2NZ
This blog has had over half a million visitors and a total of 154 people follow blogs and comments from E2NZ.
The top overseas countries where E2NZ was read in the last 24 hrs are the United States, the UK Australia, Singapore, India, Malaysia and Canada.
Our most read blog is still "New Zealand is turning into a really racist country" with over 15,000 views. The most commented story is "New Zealand - The Most Boring Place on Earth" with 200 comments.
- 961,136 hits
Top Posts & Pages
- Don't Move to New Zealand
- Why Can't Asians Find Work In NZ?
- “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” - updated
- Why Are People Leaving NZ?
- An American Asks Himself "Why NZ?"
- Migrant Tales - Immigrant Stories About NZ
- It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- An American's Take On "Rip-Off New Zealand"
- Migrant Tales - Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- Harness Failure Leaves Woman Dangling At Nevis Bungy Swing