Heading Home After 3 Years
Continuing in our series of Migrants’ Tales – first hand stories from migrants in which they talk about living in New Zealand, taken from locations around the net.
Today’s tale is taken from a thread on an emigration forum. In it the author says that all the usual issues that affect migrants have contributed to her family’s decision to leave New Zealand – low salaries, poor quality expensive housing, a high cost of living and she mentions that jobs are simply not given to “Poms”. The grass is not greener on the other side.
We have been in NZ for just over 3 long years and we are now finally heading back home.
Several reasons for this move back to sunny UK some are related to the NZ life style, culture and ethos, others to do with careers and family and friends back home.
Be under no illusion despite some similarities this country is not the UK.
If you do not have a job when you arrive ( fortunately hubby did ) you will struggle to get one, they simply do not give the jobs to “POMS”.
If you do get a job, it took me 3 months with a degree, post-grad, the works, the salary will be very low be prepared. I was grateful for the work but totally in shock when I got paid, a most humbling experience.
The houses, even the ones that are expensive to rent or buy, that is the majority, are not what you would expect the construction is interesting and they are generally pretty cold and in some cases damp. Let your nose be your guide better still a building report.
The cost of food is high in comparison to salary, as is the cost of electricity. Do not even think of buying luxury items they are significantly over priced, 25%-40% higher than the Uk even taking into account the cost of shipping the items here amazingly Kiwi’s just accept this. If you can bring perfume make- up with you. I have found 2 types of clothng in NZ, the nasty stuff mass produced in China which whilst comparatively cheap is poor quality and and better quality items which are very costly there is no middle ground.
Basically you will have a lot less money and increased expenses.
That said I would suggest that if you want to come to NZ you should there is nothing worst than the “If only I had…. ” You may love it lots of Brits do just be prepared. I think I had a rather romantic, unrealistic idea of the place which was quickly replaced with reality.
We leave with a lot less money but with experiences. The jury is out on whether they are good, maybe time and distance are required.
Not all comments are published, please read our comments [E2nz.org/comments] page before hitting that enter button Cancel reply
- Karen Leggett on UK Qualified Plumbers, Beware
- Pauline on THE AGORA
- P Ray on Christchurch Snowstorm Worst in 20 Years
- email@example.com on Don’t Move to New Zealand
- firstname.lastname@example.org on It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- commentissue on Huge rise in child abduction cases
- Graham M on "New Zealand – The Most Boring Place on Earth"
- P Ray on Migrants Tale – An Insiders View of the Tertiary Education Sector in New Zealand
- Katie on It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- P Ray on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- geezer on How Widespread Is Cannabis Use in NZ’s Adventure Tourism Industry
- victoria on THE AGORA
- jawnbc on Migrants Tale – An Insiders View of the Tertiary Education Sector in New Zealand
- pt on Migrant Tales – New Zealand is Over Rated
- kiwiblue on Huge rise in child abduction cases
Traduire ce blog en plusieurs langues…
Afrikaans shqiptar العربية българска Català 中国 中國傳統 Hrvatska Czech Danske Nederlandse Eesti Filipino Suomalainen Français Galego Deutsch Ελληνικά עברית हिन्दी Magyar Bahasa Indonesia Italiana 日本 한국어 Latvijas Lietuviškai Malti Norske Polska Portuguese Romanian Россию Српска Slovenskému Slovenščina Español Svenska ไทย Türk Українське Việt ייִדיש
Our most popular links
- Large methamphetamine lab bustedArmed police from around the North Island converged on a Melville address today where they uncovered one of the largest meth labs found in recent years.
- Man 'stabbed while holding baby'A Christchurch woman charged with stabbing her partner in the back with a hunting knife as he held their son has appeared in court.
- Man charged after armed stand-offA wheelchair-bound man allegedly involved in an armed stand-off with police at an Auckland bank last night has appeared in court.
- Teenage assistant alleges multiple rapeA convicted rapist accused of abducting and raping a Wairarapa teenager had some "stupid witch stuff" going on, the teenager says.
- Elderly woman robbed by intrudersAn elderly Auckland woman was robbed of her car and cash after two men entered her home yesterday morning.
- Place of sentencing factor in severityWhen it comes to recidivist drink drivers, where they are tried can be a bigger factor in the sentence they are handed, than the seriousness of their offence, new research shows.
- Trial beckons for crime spree accusedTwo people facing charges in relation to a string of events, including the death of an 18-year-old Tauranga woman in the lower Kaimais, are likely to head to trial.
- Man lives with horror of crashA Putaruru man who killed four people in a fiery crash, including his son and fiancee, says he is consumed by guilt, remembering the horror daily.
- Cold-case killing victim rememberedThe family of murdered Paeroa pizza-maker Jordan Voudouris have visited the place he was shot for a moving memorial service.
- 'Extreme remorse' reduces sentenceAn Auckland man who provided the gun for an accidental killing has been jailed for 16 months.
- Whole of policing approach to organised crime nets largest meth lab for several years in HamiltonLocation: National News Waikato Police are warning those involved in the illegal drugs trade that they risk facing not only the attentions of local officers but a whole of policing approach to stamping out their unlawful activities. Image(s): […]
- Police working to establish identity of body found in Hamilton house fireLocation: National News As they work to establish the identity of a body discovered in a fatal house fire, Hamilton Police say their thoughts are with the deceased's family and with a fire-fighter injured while bringing the blaze under control. Detective Senior Sergeant Ross McKay of the Hamilton CIB said emergency services were called to a Brooklyn Rd […]
- Avoiding the scammers - Fraud Awareness Week a timely reminderLocation: National News Fraud Awareness Week 2013 is focusing on scams that target seniors this year. NZ Police Crime Prevention Manager, Superintendent Bruce Bird says Fraud Awareness Week is a timely reminder for New Zealanders to be vigilant about protecting themselves.
- Victim's family address media on anniversary of Paeroa homicideLocation: National News On the anniversary of the murder of a popular Paeroa businessman, father and friend his family, Waikato Police investigators and the local community have come together to pay their respects for a man gone, but not forgotten.
- Armed standoff overLocation: National News A standoff between Police and an armed offender in a Penrose bank was resolved at 9.45pm when the man was arrested without incident. The 41 year-old was transported from the Great South Rd scene to Auckland Central Police Station shortly after the arrest.
- New Zealand Warnings and Dangers
- THE AGORA
- What they say about E2NZ.org – Part 1
- Your Exit Interview
- Migrant Tales – Immigrant Stories NZ
- Chapter 1
- Immigration Woes
- Leaving New Zealand
- Like Podlings Sucked Dry
- Married To A Kiwi in God’s Waiting Room
- Time To Leave – Can’t Find Work
- Two Years On And It’s Still Crap
- Why Are People Leaving NZ?
- Why Are You Leaving NZ?
- UK Qualifications Not Recognised
- What We Wished We’d Known
- Making Ends Meet
- A British Canadian’s Perspective
- Houses Are Overpriced Crap
- Economic Suicide
- Impossible Job Market
- Chapter 2
- “3+ Years In And Missing Blighty”
- “The Health Care System Is Second Rate”
- A Singaporean Says Living In NZ Different Experience – Updated
- An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- Don’t Move to New Zealand
- NZ A More Dangerous, More Violent Place
- Teacher Duped By The Hype, Couldn’t Find Work
- We Chose To Go With New Zealand. BIG MISTAKE
- Moved From Singapore For Better Life
- NZ Is Mis-Sold
- Skilled Migrants Drive Taxis To Survive
- University Lecturer Misled Over Job Offer
- Refuge From NZ Found In A Muslim Country
- IT Professional Puts His Finger On IT
- Chapter 3
- New Zealand Is Like A Postcard, “There is no sense of history or magic here”
- 7 Months In And No Work For Tradesman Husband
- A Prison Officer’s Thoughts
- American Says Tauranga ‘Mis-sold’
- Emigrating When You’re Older
- Heading Home After 3 Years
- No Work In Blenheim, Moved To Christchurch
- NZ Without A Job Offer
- Prison Officers In New Zealand
- Returning Kiwi Shunned
- Three Weeks In. An American’s First Impressions Of New Zealand
- Two And A Half Years In New Zealand – NZ Like South Dakota
- What’s It REALLY Like In New Zealand?
- Chapter 4
- “Observations About The Downside of New Zealand”
- 100% Pure Rip Off
- 6 Years In, Stay Or Go?
- An American’s Take On “Rip-Off New Zealand”
- Canadian Still Looking For Work
- It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- Studying In New Zealand
- Thinking About Teaching In New Zealand?
- Three Months In NZ And Tickets Are Booked
- Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- Work Culture In New Zealand
- How To Go To Bed, NZ Style
- Chapter 5
- “Close Minded Kiwis Ruined NZ For Us”
- ‘Non White’ Kiwi Treated Like Immigrant In Own Country
- Another WTR Visa Issued from Shanghai
- Effects Of Chch Quake On Expats
- If you doubt discrimination in NZ read this…
- No Science Or Skills Shortage In New Zealand
- Renting Houses In NZ – A Manual
- Trapped In NZ – Father Won’t Let Child Leave
- Chapter 6
- “Calling all teachers! Please help, I’m going mad!!”
- “God This Is A Mess” – Welcome To New Zealand
- Living Costs For One Person In NZ v. USA
- Migrant Tales. UK citizen lived 13 yrs Australia and 10 in NZ – A Comparison
- Perhaps We’re Just Unlucky But It’s Too Much. We’re Done Here
- Post Quake – How The Canterbury Disaster Has Affected Migrants And Visitors To NZ
- Teaching In NZ – A Migrant’s Exit Interview
- UK Qualified Plumbers, Beware
- Chapter 7
- “Thoughts from someone leaving NZ”
- A Culture Of Good Enough Will Do
- Chinese Student @ Otago
- Civil Engineer Now Cleaning Ovens In NZ – updated
- Expat In Christchurch Post Quake
- Immigrant Kid
- New Zealand Expo, No It Wasn’t
- New Zealand Is Draining The “Me” Out Of Me
- NZ, What’s To Miss?
- This Is Why I Didn’t Like New Zealand
- Two and a Half Years In…
- Why We Left New Zealand, After The Quake
- Chapter 8
- Indian Professional Faced Discrimination
- Adele’s Story, Kids Falling Light Years Behind
- An Insiders View of the Tertiary Education Sector in New Zealand
- Green Migrants Beware of New Zealand’s Underbelly
- House Buying and Divorce Laws
- How resilient are we? A New Zealand immigrant’s perspective
- I Want Out : An American’s Tale
- Migrant Tales – I am young and I want to get out, Can you help me?
- Chapter 9
- Life After New Zealand
- Chapter 1
- What’s It Like To Live In NZ?
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “Most People Consider Hypothermia A Symptom Of Being Cold, Rather Than An Expression Of National Identity”
- A Selection Of Thoughts About NZ
- “30,000 A Year Go To Aussie. Why?”
- “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- “Nice Scenery, Good Wine and Food. Shame About The Inbred Psychopaths.”
- “NZ 5th Most Violent Country In The World”
- “Top 5 Things Wrong With New Zealand”
- Big Bucks For A Hillbilly Lifestyle
- Kiwi Longs To Escape Cargo Cult Lifestyle
- Kiwis Leaving For Australia At 12 Month High
- Ode to Whangarei
- Returning Kiwis Views About New Zealand
- Chapter 2 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “100% Pure Rip-Off”
- “NZ… Land of the Big Ripoff”
- “Smugly standing idle, with our hands out…NZ not part of real civilisation”
- “You Know You’re In Flaxmere When”
- Ever Had An Intruder In Your House When You Were There?
- Kiwi Lifestyle In Winter. Part 1
- Ministry Of Defence Houses “Freezing”
- NZ Houses Are Like Glorified Tents
- Third World NZ, No Place For The Poor Or Disabled
- Where To Go In Tauranga On New Year’s Eve?
- Who’d Be A Supermarket Employee
- Why Does Immigration NZ Let People Into NZ To Live…
- Chapter 3 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- NZ Life
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Violent Crime
- NZ Wiki
- Adventure Tourism And Safety
- Economics, Demographics And Immigration
- Education And Children’s Issues
- Fraud and Dishonesty In New Zealand
- Green Credentials, Or Green Wash?
- Health And Death
- Hype, Spin And Restrictions On Freedom Of Information
- Infrastructure, Earthquakes and Tsunamis
- Living Accommodation: Housing Issues In New Zealand
- Road Crash Data
- External links
- NZ great place to raise kids...armed offenders squad puts junior high into lockdown during secret police operation stuff.co.nz/national/crime… 1 month ago
- Auckland uni deep fat fryer fire..."they poured water on it" no fire extinguishers, no fire safety training? She'll be right. 1 month ago
- Happy Mother's Day. New Zealand plunges in 'best place to be a mum' rankings. Find out why e2nz.org/2013/05/11/int… 1 month ago
- RT @younglabournz: New Zealand has the highest rate of youth suicide in the OECD. We're campaigning for a new approach. http://t.co/YMCZL8u… 1 month ago
- RT @ESPNcricinfo: One of the two men accused of attacking Jesse Ryder has pleaded guilty to assault. es.pn/12fpDfE 1 month ago
- RT @actuporg: New Zealand–“Shocked” university students stand by workers at @McDonald’s in Queen St MORE: i.actup.org/10bJugY http://t.c… 1 month ago
- RT @younglabournz: Young Labour is campaigning for change in New Zealand's abortion law. http://t.co/mgYErbnuCZ 1 month ago
- Migrants Tales - "New Zealand is still over rated" written by a South African emigrant e2nz.org/2013/04/25/mig… 1 month ago
- New Zealand's 'sea monster' the latest in a long line of sea monsters from the depths of New Zealand e2nz.org/2013/05/09/new… 1 month ago
- #Ellen show. NZ NOT progressive, far from it, read our posts to discover NZ's rampant homophobia e2nz.org/?s=Gay. 1 month ago
The Long Write Cloud
Interesting facts about E2NZ
This blog has had over half a million visitors and a total of 154 people follow blogs and comments from E2NZ.
The top overseas countries where E2NZ was read in the last 24 hrs are the United States, the UK Australia, Singapore, India, Malaysia and Canada.
Our most read blog is still "New Zealand is turning into a really racist country" with over 15,000 views. The most commented story is "New Zealand - The Most Boring Place on Earth" with 200 comments.
- 789,293 hits
Top Posts & Pages
- Don't Move to New Zealand
- “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” - updated
- Why Can't Asians Find Work In NZ?
- It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- Migrant Tales - Immigrant Stories NZ
- Why Are People Leaving NZ?
- Armed Robberies
- An American's Take On "Rip-Off New Zealand"
- Christchurch Snowstorm Worst in 20 Years
- "New Zealand - The Most Boring Place on Earth"