NZ Murder Rate Among Worst In The OECD
The independent New Zealand Institute has ranked New Zealand 5th in a list of 30 OECD countries for its high murder rate according to the Herald:
“The murder and manslaughter of about 100 people a year makes New Zealand one of the most violent countries in the developed world, according to a new independent report.
New Zealand has been given a “D” rating on a report card prepared by the New Zealand Institute, because of its high rates of violent deaths and child abuse.
This weekend, the United Nations Human Rights Committee expressed concern at New Zealand’s high rates of child abuse, and recommended the Government encourage reporting of suspected abuse, and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.
According to the New Zealand Institute, only Mexico, Finland, Hungary and the gun-toting US have higher “assault mortality” rates in the 30-member OECD, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development…”
What gives with the “gun toting US ” comment? there’s an estimated 1.1 million firearms legally owned in New Zealand, enough for one in four of the population and not all murders are firearm related. You can read the rest of the report here.
The NZ Institute’s report “NZ Ahead – A report card of New Zealand’s social, economic and environmental wellbeing. Measuring New Zealand’s performance so we can improve it.” may be found here
We’ve been keeping our own tally of violent deaths over the last year or so, based on what gets released into the public domain via news reports. The NZ Institute reckons there are about 100 murders and manslaughters a year, we counted 78 last year which leads us to believe that the details of a good number of them don’t make it into the news.
‘Killer’ Nation’s underbelly of Crime and Violence
As if in response to the report the Herald has told the story of Harry Young, who moved from East Lancashire to New Zealand seven years ago, looking for a better life for his family. Much the same as Mr and Mrs Templeman did and whose daughter Liberty was murdered by a 14 year old youth in Kerikeri in November 2008.
Harry’s daughter Jane, 16, was one of two young women murdered in the Edgeware Road killings, Christchurch 3 years ago. Lipine Sila was sentenced to life with a minimum non parole period of 17 years for their deaths. Mr Young gave told the paper they’d moved to New Zealand to:
“escape worrying levels of crime, drug abuse and violence in a society he felt was full of social unrest.
He chose “100 per cent Pure” Godzone to live, because of its billing as a safe paradise to raise a family and “to get away from it all“.
Now he feels he made a terrible mistake.
“New Zealand has an underbelly of general crime and violence and social practices that’s not really known about,” he says.
The 50-year-old’s view of his new homeland has been changed by his daughter’s horrific murder…
Harry Young says his friends and family overseas view New Zealand as a dangerous place after Jane’s death and are now also aware of tourists being “raped and robbed” too.
He says the Corrections Department is failing and should be renamed. Offenders just spend time with other criminals and emerge worse than when they went in… “
Read more here
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
— Grimm times (@GrimmJayne) November 17, 2014
— Bry Ony (@Btripstheworld) November 13, 2014
Living the dream in NZ. A nightmare brought to you by John Key and his National govt. Cheers.
— The Outrider (@unsung75) November 1, 2014
— adoxography_ (@adoxography_) November 11, 2014
Just heard the audio of John Key talking about Phillip Smith's escape....and joking about it. Really Prime Minister?
— Jacinda Ardern (@jacindaardern) November 10, 2014
Did John Key seriously just make a joke with the Chilean prime minister about our murdering, raping paedophile escaped convict. #notok.
— Deborah (@Grumblah) November 10, 2014
— Sharon Murdoch (@domesticanimal) November 4, 2014
— NAMBASSA™ (@Nambassa) November 4, 2014
— Greenpeace NZ (@GreenpeaceNZ) November 2, 2014
NZers don’t respect intelligence, they respect confidence. - See more at: http://t.co/p7b2VFJWvj
— Martyn Bradbury (@CitizenBomber) October 20, 2014
If only we took warnings of catastrophic climate change as seriously as we took warnings of a low risk of terrorism: http://t.co/5ZmaLE3yCr
— David Tong (@Davidxvx) October 19, 2014
— Russel Norman (@RusselNorman) October 22, 2014
— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) October 17, 2014
John Key on Child Poverty in New Zealand "Aw nah yeah, look the only thing that kiwi kids are starving for is a new flag." #Flagtheflag
— dave (@caffeine_addict) October 18, 2014
John Key calling the Mad Monk to talk about dealing with ISIS because Obama said so, Strong Stable Government right here NZ #nzpol
— Colinisation (@Colin_R_Gale) October 20, 2014
A selection of our recent comments
- SafeFromNewZealand on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- SafeFromNewZealand on FORUM
- Calvin Kulo on Just Another Day in the ‘Most Socially Progressive Nation on Earth’
- Calvin Kulo on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- Calvin Kulo on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- Reina on “Close Minded Kiwis Ruined NZ For Us”
- SafeFromNewZealand on Migrant Tales – I am young and I want to get out, Can you help me?
- william twiss on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- Max Piller on Migrant Tales – I am young and I want to get out, Can you help me?
- P Ray on Migrant Tales – Binge Drinking The Bane Of The Culture And NZ Is A Nation of ‘MJ’ Smokers
- P Ray on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- RussellW on Comments
- Vigilante on “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- NoKiwi on How to Move a Fridge, West Auckland Style
- Max Piller on Comments
Follow E2NZ.org on TwitterMy Tweets
- Countdown Cleared of Wrongdoing, No Supplier Intimidation November 20, 2014
- Severe Earthquake Strikes Just as Earthquake Commission Staff Are Labelled “Ailing” : Drug Abuse & Under Performance Exposed by OIA Request November 17, 2014
- Another Tourist Attack in the Lawless North, Judge Fires Opening Salvo of the Season Against Crims November 17, 2014
- Hamilton, Bellwether for Breakdown of Law and Order in NZ November 14, 2014
- Migrant Tales – Indian Engineer’s Experience of Racism, NZ Style November 13, 2014
- Brazil’s Police Succeed Where NZ’s Police Fail November 13, 2014
- Murder, Child Abuse No Laughing Matter Mr Key November 12, 2014
- Trolls November 10, 2014
- John Key’s Flag Design Likened to Vegetarian Pirate Ship Ensign, ISIS Flag November 4, 2014
- How to Move a Fridge, West Auckland Style October 27, 2014
- Burglaries Unsolved as Police Face Strain, Dubious Reco(r)ding of Burglaries October 26, 2014
- NZ Forums and Censorship – updated “Is BritishExpats.com biased?” October 20, 2014
- Migrant Tales – BucksBoy Says “Stay in Kent” October 17, 2014
- 100% Pure NZ : Weedkiller Found in Auckland’s Drinking Water Reservoirs October 14, 2014
- Dirty Tricks Used to Thwart 1080 Film Crew October 4, 2014
- New Zealand Scientists Fear New Code of Conduct is an Attempt to Gag Them October 2, 2014
- NZ Trapped Parents Watching Dorothy Lee Barnett Case October 1, 2014
- The Moment of Truth September 18, 2014
- “This is New Zealand’s Watergate” Bob Amsterdam, Glenn Greenwald and New Zealand’s Moment of Truth September 14, 2014
- Mouldy Kiwi Homes: A John Key Lesson On Responsibility September 4, 2014
Our most popular links
Rip-off prices in New Zealand
Rip off NZ - Pharmacy prices a bitter pill for tourists. Know of a rip-off pharmacy or grossly inflated prices? http://t.co/fYzHFYHkSW— E2NZ (@E2NZ) December 29, 2013
New Zealand as risky as Pakistan, says Newton's Pidcock http://t.co/ncV1ey8o7g— Citywire (@Citywire) December 11, 2013
Traduire ce blog en plusieurs langues…
Afrikaans shqiptar العربية българска Català 中国 中國傳統 Hrvatska Czech Danske Nederlandse Eesti Filipino Suomalainen Français Galego Deutsch Ελληνικά עברית हिन्दी Magyar Bahasa Indonesia Italiana 日本 한국어 Latvijas Lietuviškai Malti Norske Polska Portuguese Romanian Россию Српска Slovenskému Slovenščina Español Svenska ไทย Türk Українське Việt ייִדיש
- Outrage at savage cruelty to catsThe SPCA is welcoming unprecedented prison sentences for animal abusers and calling for harsher punishments in similar cruelty cases.
- Board questions fraudster's parole eligibilityA former Waikato bank manager jailed for defrauding customers of more than $1 million has been denied parole.
- Cannabis likely motive for killingA man living in a warehouse that was used to grow marijuana was probably killed as a result of cannabis robbery, police say.
- Man went 'psycho' in attack on catA cat suffered for hours after being bludgeoned so severely with a sharpened stick that it had to be euthanased, the Christchurch District Court was told as the cat's attacker was jailed.
- Man gets jail for 'depraved' attacks on catsA cat owner was unable to sleep for three nights after her pet was burned alive, in acts a judge has called "extremely depraved".
- Man, 20, guilty of murderA 20-year-old man who fatally stabbed a Hamilton father twice in the torso has been found guilty of murder.
- Victim plied with drink and drugs, court hearsA teenager was given money and alcohol by a much older man who later raped her, a jury has heard.
- Armed police called out in ChristchurchSix men have been arrested after armed police were called to a central Christchurch street.
- Teen's drunken mac attackA New Plymouth teenager has been sentenced to community work after a drunken attack on a McDonald's staff member.
- Police turn to TV audience for helpPolice will take to television tonight seeking information regarding their investigation into the violent death of 51 year-old Brett Fraser.
- “What the world thinks of us”
- International Students’ Common Room
- Just Another Day in the ‘Most Socially Progressive Nation on Earth’
- Members Area
- Retardicon 6
- What they say about E2NZ.org
- MIGRANT TALES
- Chapter 11
- Justice New Zealand Style
- Binge Drinking The Bane Of The Culture And NZ Is A Nation of ‘MJ’ Smokers
- British Cop in Northland: NZ’s “Crime Statistics a Work of Fiction”
- Hong Kong Chinese: Moving to New Zealand is a Big Mistake
- NZ Not The Land Of Promise For Me
- Teaching in New Zealand and the NCEA
- The UK Plumber’s Tale – Problems with the NZ Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board?
- Chapter 12
- Chapter 1
- Immigration Woes
- Leaving New Zealand
- Like Podlings Sucked Dry
- Married To A Kiwi in God’s Waiting Room
- Time To Leave – Can’t Find Work
- Two Years On And It’s Still Crap
- Why Are People Leaving NZ?
- Why Are You Leaving NZ?
- UK Qualifications Not Recognised
- What We Wished We’d Known
- Making Ends Meet
- A British Canadian’s Perspective
- Houses Are Overpriced Crap
- Economic Suicide
- Impossible Job Market
- Chapter 2
- “3+ Years In And Missing Blighty”
- “The Health Care System Is Second Rate”
- A Singaporean Says Living In NZ Different Experience – Updated
- An American Asks Himself “Why NZ?”
- Don’t Move to New Zealand – updated 18 Jan 04
- NZ A More Dangerous, More Violent Place
- Teacher Duped By The Hype, Couldn’t Find Work
- We Chose To Go With New Zealand. BIG MISTAKE
- Moved From Singapore For Better Life
- NZ Is Mis-Sold
- Skilled Migrants Drive Taxis To Survive
- University Lecturer Misled Over Job Offer
- Refuge From NZ Found In A Muslim Country
- IT Professional Puts His Finger On IT
- Chapter 3
- New Zealand Is Like A Postcard, “There is no sense of history or magic here”
- 7 Months In And No Work For Tradesman Husband
- A Prison Officer’s Thoughts
- American Says Tauranga ‘Mis-sold’
- Emigrating When You’re Older
- Heading Home After 3 Years
- No Work In Blenheim, Moved To Christchurch
- NZ Without A Job Offer
- Prison Officers In New Zealand
- Returning Kiwi Shunned
- Three Weeks In. An American’s First Impressions Of New Zealand
- Two And A Half Years In New Zealand – NZ Like South Dakota
- What’s It REALLY Like In New Zealand?
- Chapter 4
- “Observations About The Downside of New Zealand”
- 100% Pure Rip Off
- 6 Years In, Stay Or Go?
- An American’s Take On “Rip-Off New Zealand”
- Canadian Still Looking For Work
- It’s True – Kiwis Don’t Really Like Americans
- Studying In New Zealand
- Thinking About Teaching In New Zealand?
- Three Months In NZ And Tickets Are Booked
- Why Can’t Asians Find Work In NZ?
- Work Culture In New Zealand
- How To Go To Bed, NZ Style
- Chapter 5
- “Close Minded Kiwis Ruined NZ For Us”
- ‘Non White’ Kiwi Treated Like Immigrant In Own Country
- Another WTR Visa Issued from Shanghai
- Effects Of Chch Quake On Expats
- If you doubt discrimination in NZ read this…
- No Science Or Skills Shortage In New Zealand
- Renting Houses In NZ – A Manual
- Trapped In NZ – Father Won’t Let Child Leave
- Chapter 6
- “Calling all teachers! Please help, I’m going mad!!”
- Living Costs For One Person In NZ v. USA
- Migrant Tales. UK citizen lived 13 yrs Australia and 10 in NZ – A Comparison
- Perhaps We’re Just Unlucky But It’s Too Much. We’re Done Here
- Post Quake – How The Canterbury Disaster Has Affected Migrants And Visitors To NZ
- Teaching In NZ – A Migrant’s Exit Interview
- UK Qualified Plumbers, Beware
- “God This Is A Mess” – Welcome To New Zealand
- Chapter 7
- “Thoughts from someone leaving NZ”
- A Culture Of Good Enough Will Do
- Chinese Student @ Otago
- Civil Engineer Now Cleaning Ovens In NZ – updated
- Expat In Christchurch Post Quake
- Immigrant Kid
- New Zealand Expo, No It Wasn’t
- New Zealand Is Draining The “Me” Out Of Me
- NZ, What’s To Miss?
- This Is Why I Didn’t Like New Zealand
- Two and a Half Years In…
- Why We Left New Zealand, After The Quake
- Chapter 8
- Indian Professional Faced Discrimination
- Adele’s Story, Kids Falling Light Years Behind
- An Insiders View of the Tertiary Education Sector in New Zealand
- Attention Nurses! You’re Getting a Rough Deal in NZ
- Brit Feeling “Foreign” In New Zealand. How About You?
- Green Migrants Beware of New Zealand’s Underbelly
- House Buying and Divorce Laws
- How resilient are we? A New Zealand immigrant’s perspective
- I Want Out : An American’s Tale
- Migrant Tales – I am young and I want to get out, Can you help me?
- Chapter 9
- Reality Check
- “NZ vs UK – not all it’s cracked up to be. Is it just me?”
- 6 Years 8 Months: The Best and Worst of Times
- Foreign IT Workers Need Not Apply There Is No Shortage
- Lau’s Tale
- Lau’s Tale
- New Zealand is Over Rated
- Six years in New Zealand now I’m back in France.
- Thank God I Have Left New Zealand
- Victoria University, victims of crime can go to hell
- Chapter 10
- British Sparky Can’t Find Work (updated)
- Do not teach in New Zealand you may live to regret it
- England is the Best Place for Us Riots and All
- Get Out of New Zealand or Die on the Street
- Goodbye New Zealand
- New Zealand Culture is Brutal, Something is Seriously Wrong
- New Zealand is a Dump
- NZ Promised Land?
- Some of the Memories We Will Take Back With Us to Scotland
- Winter is Coming and New Zealand Homes are Dank and Full of Draughts
- Life After New Zealand
- Chapter 11
- Your Exit Interview
- NZ Wiki
- Adventure Tourism And Safety
- Economics, Demographics And Immigration
- Education and Children’s Issues
- Fraud and Dishonesty In New Zealand Wiki
- Green Credentials, Or Green Wash?
- Health And Death
- Hype, Spin And Restrictions On Freedom Of Information
- Infrastructure, Earthquakes and Tsunamis
- Living Accommodation: Housing Issues In New Zealand
- Road Crash Data
- THE AGORA
- New Zealand Warnings and Dangers – Updated
- External links
- Live Web Cams
- What’s It Like To Live In NZ?
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “Most People Consider Hypothermia A Symptom Of Being Cold, Rather Than An Expression Of National Identity”
- A Selection Of Thoughts About NZ
- Big Bucks For A Hillbilly Lifestyle
- Kiwi Longs To Escape Cargo Cult Lifestyle
- Kiwis Leaving For Australia At 12 Month High
- Ode to Whangarei
- Returning Kiwis Views About New Zealand
- “30,000 A Year Go To Aussie. Why?”
- “New Zealand Is Turning Into A Really Racist Country” – updated
- “Nice Scenery, Good Wine and Food. Shame About The Inbred Psychopaths.”
- “NZ 5th Most Violent Country In The World”
- “Top 5 Things Wrong With New Zealand”
- Chapter 2 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- “100% Pure Rip-Off”
- “NZ… Land of the Big Ripoff”
- “Smugly standing idle, with our hands out…NZ not part of real civilisation”
- Ever Had An Intruder In Your House When You Were There?
- Kiwi Lifestyle In Winter. Part 1
- Ministry Of Defence Houses “Freezing”
- NZ Houses Are Like Glorified Tents
- Third World NZ, No Place For The Poor Or Disabled
- Where To Go In Tauranga On New Year’s Eve?
- Who’d Be A Supermarket Employee
- Why Does Immigration NZ Let People Into NZ To Live…
- “You Know You’re In Flaxmere When”
- Chapter 3 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Chapter 1 – What Kiwis Say About NZ
- NZ Life
- What Kiwis Say About NZ
- Violent Crime